My Acoustic Diaries: The Day Almost Dying Became Normal

People sometimes ask me what the worst part of addiction was.

They expect me to talk about the withdrawals.

The lies.

The money.

The people I hurt.

Those things were all real.

But they weren't the scariest part.

The scariest part wasn't almost dying.

It was how normal that started to feel.

I remember one night when I pushed my body further than it could handle. Everything went wrong. My body gave out. I shook uncontrollably, completely out of control, for what felt like forever.

When it was over...

I laughed.

Not because it was funny.

Not because I wasn't scared.

But because somewhere along the way, something that should have terrified me had become just another night.

That laugh still bothers me more than the moment itself.

Because it showed me how far I had drifted.

It wasn't relief.

It wasn't strength.

It was proof that I had accepted a life that should have never felt normal.

That's what addiction does.

It doesn't take everything from you overnight.

It moves the line.

Slowly.

Quietly.

The things that once would have stopped you become things you explain away.

The warnings become background noise.

The impossible becomes routine.

You don't wake up one morning and decide that risking everything is normal.

You get there one small surrender at a time.

The hardest truth I've ever had to admit is this:

I reached a point where I wasn't satisfied unless I had pushed myself close to the edge.

I wasn't chasing happiness anymore.

I wasn't even chasing a high.

I was chasing escape.

I was trying to silence everything I didn't know how to face.

And that's the part people don't always understand.

Addiction isn't always about wanting more.

Sometimes it's about wanting less.

Less pain.

Less memories.

Less feeling.

But eventually, the thing you use to escape your pain becomes the thing creating it.

People talk about rock bottom like it's a place.

Like there's one moment where everything changes.

For me, it wasn't a place.

It was a mirror.

I looked at myself and saw someone I recognized, but someone I didn't know anymore.

The person looking back wasn't the person I wanted to become.

He looked tired.

Lost.

Like he had been surviving for so long that he forgot what living felt like.

Somewhere between who I was and who I wanted to be...

I disappeared.

That moment didn't magically fix everything.

There wasn't some perfect movie ending where everything suddenly made sense.

But it was the first time I stopped lying to myself.

I stopped pretending I had control.

I stopped telling myself tomorrow would be different if I kept making the same choices today.

The truth was painful.

But the truth was also where I started finding my way back.

Today, what I miss least isn't the drugs.

I don't miss living every day like a gamble.

I don't miss the fake reality I built around myself.

I don't miss waking up wondering what damage had been done.

I don't miss being a stranger to myself.

That's one of the reasons I wrote Relapse Looks Like Love.

Not because I wanted to tell people how addiction feels.

But because I wanted to tell the truth about the lies it tells.

The lie that says you're too far gone.

The lie that says you need it.

The lie that says the thing destroying you is the only thing keeping you alive.

I believed those lies.

For longer than I want to admit.

When you hear Relapse Looks Like Love, you're not just hearing a song about addiction.

You're hearing what those lies sounded like inside my own head.

You're hearing the conversation that happens before the decision.

The battle nobody sees.

The moment where something dangerous still feels like comfort.

I survived to write this song.

I don't take that for granted.

If this song reaches someone who is standing where I once stood...

If it helps someone recognize the lie before they believe it...

Then every painful memory behind it was worth carrying.

Because recovery didn't begin the day everything changed.

It began the day I stopped believing I needed the thing that was destroying me.

And that changed everything.

— Walters Fall

Comments

The Unforgettable