My Acoustic Diaries: The Future I Couldn't See Coming
I carry every one of them with me.
The kid growing up in rural Ontario with more questions than answers.
The young man who made mistakes he wishes he could take back.
The man fighting addiction.
The survivor.
The songwriter sitting alone with a guitar, wondering if anyone would ever hear the songs piling up around him.
Sometimes I think about that version of me.
Not because I miss him.
Because I owe him.
I can still picture one night in particular.
An old guitar in my hands.
A notebook full of lyrics nobody would ever read.
The room was quiet except for the hum of an amplifier and the sound of my fingers moving across worn strings.
No audience.
No awards.
No recognition.
No grand plan.
Just a guy trying to stay alive long enough to see what tomorrow looked like.
I wasn't dreaming about success.
I was trying to survive.
That's the part people don't always understand.
Music wasn't a career choice for me.
It wasn't a strategy.
It wasn't a brand.
It was a lifeline.
A place to put things that hurt too much to carry.
Every song became a conversation I didn't know how to have any other way.
Every lyric became proof that I was still here.
Still fighting.
Still breathing.
Still refusing to disappear.
Back then, success felt like something that happened to other people.
People with better luck.
Better timing.
Better connections.
I couldn't imagine these songs travelling beyond my small corner of the world.
I couldn't imagine strangers finding pieces of themselves inside lyrics I wrote alone in the middle of the night.
I couldn't imagine any of it.
And maybe that's why life feels so strange sometimes.
Because when you've spent years expecting doors to stay closed, it takes time to trust the sound of one opening.
People talk a lot about chasing dreams.
What they don't talk about is what happens when the dream starts moving toward you.
That's a different kind of fear.
You spend so long preparing yourself for disappointment that hope starts to feel unfamiliar.
You become comfortable carrying the weight.
Then one day life asks you to set some of it down.
That's harder than it sounds.
The old version of me still shows up from time to time.
He's there when doubt creeps in.
He's there when I question whether the songs are good enough.
He's there when I wonder whether I belong in rooms I once only dreamed of entering.
He remembers every failure.
Every relapse.
Every wrong turn.
Every bridge burned.
Every opportunity lost.
And honestly, I'm glad he remembers.
Because forgetting isn't growth.
Learning is.
Those scars aren't proof of weakness.
They're proof of distance travelled.
Proof that I kept moving when standing still would have been easier.
The older I get, the more I realize healing isn't about becoming someone new.
It's about finally making peace with who you've been.
The goal was never to erase the past.
The goal was to stop letting it decide the future.
For years I thought my story was defined by what broke me.
Now I'm beginning to think it might be defined by what didn't.
The fact that I kept writing.
The fact that I kept showing up.
The fact that after every reason to quit, something inside me still reached for a guitar.
Still reached for another song.
Still believed there was something worth saying.
That matters.
More than recognition.
More than numbers.
More than applause.
Because all of those things are outcomes.
Persistence is a choice.
And sometimes the most important choice you'll ever make is refusing to quit before life has a chance to surprise you.
This year has brought more songs, more opportunities, and more reasons to believe than I ever thought possible—but gratitude doesn't erase the road it took to get here.
If I could sit across from the version of myself from fifteen years ago, I don't think he'd believe much of what I'd tell him.
He wouldn't believe some of the places the music would reach.
He wouldn't believe some of the people who would connect with the songs.
He wouldn't believe that the thing he used to survive would eventually help other people survive too.
But most of all, he wouldn't believe he'd still be standing.
Still writing.
Still hoping.
Still dreaming.
That's the part that would shock him.
And maybe that's the lesson I've been learning lately.
The future version of yourself is often being built during the seasons when it feels like nothing is happening.
The late nights.
The lonely mornings.
The quiet work nobody sees.
The effort made without applause.
The faith exercised without proof.
That's where transformation happens.
Not in the spotlight.
In the dark.
Long before anyone notices.
Long before anyone calls it success.
Maybe you're reading this while fighting a battle nobody knows about.
Maybe you're carrying regrets that still feel heavier than they should.
Maybe you're staring at a dream that feels impossible from where you're standing.
Maybe you've convinced yourself it's too late.
I've been there.
More times than I can count.
But here's what I've learned.
The future rarely arrives the way we expect it to.
Sometimes it shows up disguised as another ordinary day.
Another song.
Another chance.
Another reason not to quit.
The version of you that exists five years from now may be counting on the decision you make today.
I know mine was.
The old me wouldn't believe where I am today.
Not because everything is perfect.
Not because the scars disappeared.
Not because I've got all the answers.
He wouldn't believe it because I kept going when it would have been easier to stop.
And if there's one thing I hope you take from this entry, it's this:
Keep going.
Your future might be closer than you think.
You just can't see it yet.
Walters Fall (Darrin Walters)


.png)
Comments